Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Full Out Mini Van Driving Soccer Mom

I know I am far from alone in this crazy world of Soccer Mommin' it, but I can't help but feel if you open up a dictionary and look up Soccer Mom, you will find a picture of me, rocking out to my kids' favorite music on repeat, cruisin' in my mini van.  The ultimate in uncool, but still necessary, mom that even your kids' friends know they can rely on for a snack, to borrow your phone, or even a ride home. On game day you might find me with the bare minimum of a camp chair, keys, phone, and drink of choice (while I have seen it much worse, I keep it legit - coffee or water - for these elementary age field side events) or other times loaded down with my backpack and binder of info ala team manager days, wagon filled with snacks, chairs, team bench(es), and the coveted neck cooling towels.  I like to switch it up.

My kid, who happens to only be nine, can spout off knowledge of the game like the pros. He's been playing since he was three and part of an academy for several years now.  I'm learning there too.  I've even schooled some dads on the logistics of offsides and a build-out line in 7 v 7 games.  I mean, it took me all of last (last) year's season (that's August through May in the travel ball world down here) to begin to grasp it, but I'm getting there.

Being a Soccer Mom is a lot of things.  It's chaotic and exhausting and dirty (um, laundry!) and intense.  But, it's also fun and exciting and relaxing and quality time.  I work a high-stress 9-5 (sometimes well after) job and it is SO NICE to sit at the fields in the evenings and just relax and breath in the fresh air.  It's how I unwind and when we are on a break, I miss it.  Tournaments and games and training and triumphs and losses. All of it. I miss it.  

COVID 19 cut our season short this year.  Two months and four tournaments that will never be made up.  If that's the worst that happens, we consider ourselves lucky, but we can mourn our losses no matter how big or small just the same.  Just this past week the fields were open again and tryouts were held.  Even though our boys got invited back for next year and didn't have to officially tryout, they made sure to attend every session possible. Modifications for social distancing in place and ready to go. To see each other and to have the ball at their feet.  We felt at home.  Not just the players, but the parents as well.  This next year our club, Elite Soccer Academy, will be joining forces with B1 Academy out of Barcelona to form the new B1 USA and we are very excited for this adventure.  There is hope for our world to return to normal at some point.  2020 will be a year to go down in the history books - I am sure once I gather the words, I will put them out there for all to see.  

But for now, I look forward to being that Soccer Mom once again. You'll find me cruisin' down the streets, or in the parking lot looking for a spot, in my mini van with whatever hit music my kids are listening to or the occasional Disney soundtrack or Lionel Richie hit (we like variety!) - See you on the fields!







No comments: