Friday, April 26, 2013

Amazing Grace - How Bittersweet it is

I still have several posts from the past few months to make and was hoping to post in order but I really feel like I have to post a snap shot of these past two weeks.  These incredibly sad weeks.

We started out last week with the Boston Marathon Bombings on Monday 4/15 and the chaos that ensued.  Then, much closer to home, a dear friend's mother passed away.  On 4/17 there was an explosion at a fertilizer plant in West, Texas.  Finally, on Thursday 4/18 a young lady from church gave birth at 28 weeks pregnant.  Her sweet baby boy passed away the next day after 14 hours in this world.

I went to two memorial services in less than a week's time.

My dear friend's mom's funeral was last Saturday.  She and her husband (his dad) were married for 40 years.  It was incredibly heartbreaking to see the pain her family was in with her passing.  She was such a blessing in this world.  They also talked about how amazing it was that my friend's parents were married for 40 years.  It sure is commendable, especially in today's society.  Marriage can be hard work - I know!  Next summer Jay and I will be married for a decade!  I hope when I pass away "they" can say that through good and bad we stuck together and worked through life together.

Tonight was the memorial service for sweet baby Loretto.  I never did get to meet him.  Baby Lee 2.0 was kicking like crazy throughout the whole service.  I'd like to think she was telling me that Loretto is now doing great and is home with Jesus waiting until his family and we all join him in heaven or at the time of the Resurrection. It was particularly hard for several reasons but two of them include that I was 6 weeks behind her in this pregnancy (thank you Jesus that we are still going strong, I can't even imagine the pain) and also remembering my dear sisters funeral. She passed away 10 days before her 1st birthday.  Baby funerals are hard.

One thing is for sure, the two individuals whose memorial services I attended are in heaven with Jesus waiting.  And as sad as these last two weeks have been, the thing we can take comfort in is God's amazing Grace.

AMAZING GRACE
 
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.
 
T'was Grace that taught my heart to fear.
And Grace, my fears relieved.
How precious did that Grace appear
The hour I first believed.
 
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.
 
The Lord has promised good to me.
His word my hope secures.
He will my shield and portion be,
As long as life endures.
 
Yea, when this flesh and heart shall fail,
And mortal life shall cease,
I shall possess within the veil,
A life of joy and peace.
 
When we've been here ten thousand years
Bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise
Than when we've first begun.
 
Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see.

No comments: