Monday, September 10, 2012

Parenting - No One "Magic Formula"

I know there is no one "magic formula" for parenting.  Each family, each child, each parent, each neighborhood, each environment.... so many factors go in to each Family and each Familial Relationship and how it "works."  One thing is clear - the best for one situation may not be the best for another.

I doubt myself sometimes and I obsess over if what I am doing is the best thing(s) to do. I make more than my share of mistakes (and did I mention Keegan is not quite yet two?).

I just felt the need to put this out there.  As I post about the stress of a perfect birthday party or the best schooling for my son or how awesome I think he is (most of the time) I am in no way trying to set this standard I think each family should live by, but I also don't think it is very fair to be judged for the journey in parenting I am partaking in.

Guess what:
- My kid's a vegetarian like his momma (and his Aunt Kiki too).
- I enroll him in a weekly music class that, although an additional expense, provides a bonding time for me and my son and a fun learning experience for him.
- I work full time and my kid is in daycare from 9-6 five days a week.
- I don't feel bad about that.
- I also don't feel bad that he's usually one of the last to get picked up.
- I do feel bad that there are not even more hours in a day that I can spend with him though.
- I'd consider homeschooling or some other alternative schooling, if we could swing me being a stay-at-home-mom.
- I already have two public schools picked out that I think would be good for Keegan too.
- I am a licensed attorney.
- I wish I was a housewife.
- I am in debt up to my ears becoming said attorney which makes goal of being said housewife hardly obtainable.
- I have wanted more kids since the second Keegan was born.
- I plan on having (hopefully) two more kids.
- I would love to adopt children as well one day.
- I had a natural, drug-free, delivery and hope to be able to do the same again.
- I spoil my kid.
- I also have no problem discipling my kid.
- I started potty training Keegan around 18 months.
- I can't get him to sit on the potty at all right now.
- I breastfed Keegan until he was 10 1/2 months (9 1/2 months without any formula)
- I hope to breastfeed my future children longer.
- I made my own baby food most of the time.
- I let my kid eat cake.
- I like to plan extravagant kids parties.
- I do it as much (if not moreso) for me as for them.
- I don't like Keegan watching too much tv.
- I let Keegan watch hours and hours of tv yesterday so I could clean.

... and on and on and on.

A lot of what I just posted is "controversial".  Oh well.  Funny how more people comment on my Facebook status if it's a post about the trials of parenthood than about the joys.

I don't think people need to do what I do or not do what we don't do.  Figure out what works for your family.  But don't make other people feel bad about what they do.  And I don't mean by boasting about what you or your kid does.  I mean come on!  If someone's kid does something they are proud of, we should celebrate with them, not be annoyed by it.

So hopefully as I post about the awesome things Keegan does, people will celebrate with us, and when I post about his naughtiness, people will laugh with us, and when I post about the tough times, people will pray with us.

I know I am going to be trying to do those very same things for others.

No comments: