Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Church Commitments

It's weird, but I really feel like there is a specific purpose or role for me that God has set out above and beyond my primary roles of wife and mother (and employer but I really wouldn't say that my "work" role is a calling but more of a means to an end).  Of course, I do not know what this role is. 

I feel a connection with my church home.  Not just a "I love the people and it makes me feel good" sort of connection but more of a "a-ha, I hear you God, this is where I am supposed to be whether I want to fight it or not."  (And I do love the people!)

Sure it would be easier to sleep in on Sundays, skip bible study, and keep my comfortable relationship with the Lord that requires minimal commitment.  Sometimes I crave that. Then I think how ridiculous that is. Jesus said pick up your cross and follow me REGARDLESS of what you may lose.  And how blessed to be in position to not lose much (other than that sleep on a Sunday morning - although Keegan kind of puts a stop to that anyways).  I do know I should not let my responsibilities as wife and mother suffer for my involvement in church activities but really they don't.  If anything, they are enriched by it.

I had a series of events, both good and bad, that have solidified my spot in my church family.  God directing me every step of the way through blessings and sorrows.

Why am I writing about this?  What am I rambling on about?  Well I feel like I am at a crossroads. 

Commitments.  A crossroads as to what to commit to and what those commitments entail.  They can all kind of go hand in hand.  It will be interesting to see what these next few months bring.

Sometimes I want to step back and not step up. Why?  I don't know.  To not be commited.  To not have the accountability that comes along with commitment.

Then I think, "I would rather have my hands full, than my hands empty." What a blessing it is to have a house to clean, a child to raise, activities to do, things to learn, people to help. Sometimes it is all about how you think of it.

To be continued.....

No comments: