Thursday, October 11, 2012

There Is No Pause Button on Life

Take for example, a 7 1/2 hour detour that included the ER, my life didn't pause to account for that lost time.  Although of course it wasn't really lost time.  I got to be there for my mom and help her and that is always important. Thankfully it is just a nasty infection that time and medicine should clear up just fine. 

My mom has been sick for a few days and was too tired to drive to the doctor on her own.  I told her I would leave work a little early to bring her yesterday and to see how late her doctor could schedule her.  She called her doctor's office around 3pm and left a message and never heard back (and I feel totally bad for not trying to get her to her doctor even sooner!) but Urgent Care clinic said she could walk in up to 6 pm.  Perfect.  We got to Urgent care right around 5pm and they said that she needed testing done and that she should go to the ER because it would take them a couple of days for results but the ER would have them this same night.  I think the meningitis outbreak has everyone kind of scared too....  So off we went. 

We had to pick up my crazy, yet sweet, Keegan first.  The wait before going back was 2 hours.  They did some triage beforehand but the bloodwork and IV she needed couldn't be done until we were in the back.  Thankfully all 3 of us were able to go in the back.  Keegan was so good.  In a weird way, I was just so incredibly proud of him.  He was there for a total of  3 1/2 hours before Jay could come and get him.  I am also thankful for Netflix and Disney Channel on my iPhone (Mickey Mouse and Diego rule!).

Keegan was thankful for the Uncrustables available in the hospital cafeteria during our wait (and I glad we still had a little bit of time before the cafeteria closed):



The adventure wasn't too bad - my mom was able to rest finally and get some antibiotics and thankfully all is well.....

.... but my life did not pause during our foray in to ER misadventures.  I had "big" plans for yesterday evening.  Okay, so not "big" but still plans.  I was going to grocery shop, make chili, and prepare the food for tonight's Ladies Guild that Megan and I were hosting at.  We have food at the house so no big deal except I still had to prepare the food for Ladies Guild.  Jay was awesome and went to Walmart at midnight when I got home to get eggs and apples and then I baked (from Tastefully Simple mixes) beer bread, apple cake, and made spinach and herb dip.  Can I just say this mama is TIRED?  Not just a capital T but a capital I R E and D as well.  A 2 a.m. night isn't so awful in itself, but the night before Keegan, who is having his own health issues at the moment, did not sleep but a couple of hours because his awful cough would not let him.  This meant we didn't sleep either!

Poor Keegan is snotty, wheezy, and coughing.  I was planning on trying to make an appointment with his doctor today.  It could even just be allergies but I want to know what I can give him because I want him to be comfortable and also because of his potential for asthma, his wheezing always concerns me. Would you know that he slept really well and seemed much better this morning!?!?  Of course we can tell it's still lingering though and I actually wish the symptoms were still more obvious than they are so we can get it figured out and then for him to be all better vs these highs and lows and dragging on forever.  So to the doctors or not all depends on if his school, who knows to keep me updated, lets me know what is going on and if he gets worse again (we and the school don't think the other kids are at risk or he wouldn't be there!).

So yes, there is no pause button on life, but I have to tell you, as tired as I am, I also feel energized, happy, and thankful because I have a mom to spend time with, we have competent hospitals and healthcare providers to take care of us, I have an amazing child, I have a good hubby who is a good daddy, I am a part of Ladies Guild, I get to meet with said awesome Ladies tonight, and I am just all around blessed.

I am blessed to have so many people in my life and so many activities and opportunities that I have to just appreciate the chaos of life sometimes.  Sometimes the chaos is a result of the blessings!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Oh, and not only did my husband go to Walmart to get eggs at midnight, he came home with cage-free, grain fed eggs... all on his own. I would have bought those but was tickled pink that he knew to buy those (I would have been happy with whatever he brought home so late!)!